Sunday, August 24, 2008

Taking a New Direction

I have been ridiculously unmotivated for a few weeks. I think it stems from the fact that I thought I was ready to work on this story but the truth is that I’m not. This is the longest story I have ever written by far (60K and climbing as I edit) and it needs work. It was written as a fast draft so now going back to do the edits is rough. Not to mention that my writing in the present versus my writing then has grown by leaps and bounds. While this is a good thing I am doing a lot of rewriting of whole scenes instead of adjusting some wording here and placing a comma there.

This story is really close to my heart and I AM going to finish these edits but I think that I've been rushing it. I want to finish this story so badly that I can taste it and I have no patience. Regardless of how I feel about the situation the story seems to have a mind of it’s own and I am forced to play a waiting game. Oh well. I’m going to have to pull something else out and work on that instead until this story calls to me again. Whenever that is. *sigh*

Anyway the story I’m working on is called “What Doesn’t Kill You” and no it is not a thriller lol.

Here is the blurb:

After Talia’s grandmother looses an ugly battle with breast cancer, life looses all meaning. That is until she meets Mark. His sincerity and sexy grin sparks something inside her that she long thought she'd lost. Passion.

Divorced with a three year old daughter, Mark isn't looking for love, but for Talia he is willing to take a chance. Her witty banter and playful antics intrigue him, but he senses something is keeping her at a distance. Can Mark reach past the fortress that is forever guarding Talia’s heart or will her overbearing insecurities be the force than finally succeeds in driving him away?



Until next time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray on Finishing. I'm at a stand still with my current WIP. It was done in fast draft too, and needs a ton of reworking. I'm taking a break now and I'm hoping to get back to it soon. I'm hoping the hiatus will make me eager to edit again. :)
Big congrats on the finishing part... editing is for later. :)

Dariel Raye said...

Sorry I didn't comment the first time but had to get a google account first. Love the book title and premise, Lauren!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, sweetie. Breed is 78k (or maybe its to 90) and rising. This is the story I've written and rewritten over and over and can never seem to get it just right.

Your story will call to you again, don't worry! At least it's a finished draft, that's the important thing.

Diana Castilleja said...

Oh sweetie. I know you can finish this one to make it shine. Don't strangle your muse. Walk away. Even if you have to put it in a drawer and NOT look at it all. Remember I grounded one of mine for being so difficult.

It will talk to you again. I think your worried that if you DON'T make yourself work on it, you'll never get it done. But I bet it's the opposite. That you'll work on it when you DON'T mean to.

Like on the drive to work. Or doing the dishes. Or when you're doing the shopping. Words. Scenes. They'll come to you when you're NOT staring at it. Give yourself the freedom to NOT think about it and you'll be surprised what your muse whispers into your ear.

Love you hon. Keep at it by letting go. :)

Anonymous said...

Great job on finishing Lauren! The blurbs sounds great. I'm with Diana, don't kill your muse just yet. Walk away and give her some time to get her s*** together.

Lauren Johnson said...

Thank you all for commenting. And Diana and Abi I think you guys are right. I do feel that if I don't make myself work on it I'll never finish it but I'll try not to stress it or strangle my muse. ;)