Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Stress

I think this topic is one we can all relate to on some level. We have to meet demands placed on us by employers, loved ones and even ourselves. I’ve been reading a lot on this particular topic as it affects so many aspects of our lives that we sometimes aren’t even aware of.


We spend most of our day ripping and running trying to do things for everyone else (usually) and then we have five minutes (it sometimes seems) to relax before we have to start the whole process over again.


Hell, I’m out of breath just thinking about it! It got to a point when I didn’t even realize when I was stressed or starting to stress. It wouldn’t be until after my heart was racing, my head was screaming and my mind could no longer form coherent thoughts that I realized I was freaking out about something.


When I realized this behavior was really damaging to me and my relationships I decided something needed to be done. I learned to meditate and open my mouth and talk about things that were bothering me instead of letting them fester. I read books and looked at web sites and talked to actual people to find out how others dealt with stress.


During my search for information I came across this article. Here they discuss what stress is, how it affects the body and what you can do to identify when you are stressed and how to cope with it. I hope you gain something from it as I did. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Romantic Heretic said...

Me? I withdraw from the source of stress.

It's why I don't have much to do with the world anymore. People stress me out.

Anonymous said...

I get blank paper and pen and just start writing. Sometimes this gets my head out of myself and the stress is gone. I write anything.
Maybe I can use it in a book maybe not,but at least it moves me along and I don't dwell. Now I am not saying this is always easy. Sometimes I must force myself.
klara

Cambria Dillon said...

Great topic!
For me, I stress over EVERYTHING. I try not to but it's inevitable and usually involves breaking out the zit cream. My de-stressing rituals involve watching mindless TV...you know, those stupid reality shows that remind me I could be doing something worse, like eating spiders for $100. I also find that putting my daughter to bed cleanses my stress away (the mix of her nighttime baby lotion, soothing lullabies, and dim lighting I guess). And of course, writing helps me escape daily stres.